Txaber Trojaola wins final wildcard position for the 2012 Billabong Mundaka ChallengeFebruary 07 2012 | Posted in Blog,
Local Basque surfer Txaber Trojaola wins final wildcard position for the 2012 Billabong Mundaka Challenge
Local Basque surfer Txaber Trojaola has been granted the final wildcard into the 2012 Billabong Mundaka Challenge. The 25-year-old local secured the wildcard position via the Mundaka Tubes online competition on www.mundakatubes.biz
Locals had to upload their best Mundaka tubes from the winter with big cash prizes and a wildcard spot available for the highest placed non-invitee to the event. Txaber was that man and will now be surfing against a mix of legends, surfing superstars and local heroes in the inaugural Challenge. We caught up with Txaber on the day of the official announcement.
How did you feel when you were told you’d been given a wildcard for the Billabong Mundaka Challenge via the www.mundakatubes.biz online competition?
For me it was amazing to get a start in the Mundaka Challenge. My life revolves around surfing here when it is good, that’s my focus and how I plan for each and every day, so to be a part of this is incredible.
So if I hadn’t been in the contest I would have been here in any case watching the amazing waves and it would have killed me. I would have been wanting to be there in the event, surfing the waves with a few friends in the water. So to get that chance now is an amazing.
Did you think you’d have a chance of winning the wildcard through the online competition?
Well I knew there was one possibility to get in via this competition, but after surfing this winter and seeing so many good barrels I thought it was going to be extremely difficult. I’d had good waves, but I had no idea how many waves were entered so to be one the picked I was so stoked, surprised but stoked.
When did you first surf Mundaka?
Txaber: Well I grew up in Bakio, a beach just ten minutes away from Mundaka and so probably surfed Mundaka first when I was 10 or 11 years old. Probably the first two years I was a little too young and didn’t have much a clue, but after that I came here all the time. First on the small days and then as I grew older probably I surfed here every time it broke properly. I couldn’t tell you how many times I’ve surfed here.
How would you approach surfing with say Dane, Occy or Bruce in a heat?
Well I’ve had some experience having been a wildcard in the 2009 Billabong Pro Mundaka, so the best thing to do is try and relax and enjoy it. It’s a great opportunity to be in the water with just a few great surfers and good waves and see it all close.
What type of waves are you hoping for the Challenge?
I’m just hoping for waves like we’ve had this winter, like the waves that were entered in the online competition. For me I think Mundaka is best at 2. -2.5 metres. I think around 6-8 feet is about perfect as that’s when you get the really long barrels.
Finally, do you think you win it?
I think there’s a chance I could win. I mean it’s a different contest to the usual as it’s all about the barrel. So if you are lucky and get the best waves, then anyone can take it out.
- Waiting period ends for 2012 Billabong Mundaka Challenge Waiting period ends for 2012 Billabong Mundaka Challenge presented by Sony Ericsson and supported by Monster Energy
- The 2012 Billabong Mundaka Challenge still on hold The 2012 Billabong Mundaka Challenge presented by Sony Ericsson is still on hold, awaiting the perfect conditions needed to run the inaugural invitee only event.…
- Benjamin Sanchis and Mundaka Benjamin Sanchis and Mundaka First surfed Mundaka: 15 years ago How many surfs out there: Maybe 100
- Fergal Smith and Mundaka Fergal Smith and Mundaka - Fergal talks about Mundaka
- Dane Reynolds & Mundaka Name: Dane Reynolds DOB: 09/07/85 Home: California First surfed Mundaka: 3 years ago How many surfs out there: 1
- REYNOLDS, DORIAN, IRONS, OCCY, MACHADO & EGAN ACCEPT INVITATIONS January 9, 2012 (Mundaka, Basque Country, Spain) – Superstars Dane Reynolds, Shane Dorian and Bruce Irons plus surfing legends Mark “Occy” Occhilupo, Luke Egan and…
- The 2012 Billabong Mundaka Challenge The inaugural Billabong Mundaka Challenge is set to bring back the world's best tuberiders to Mundaka, one of the world's best waves. A three-month waiting…